This rustic gut-friendly grain-free bread recipe will change your life! Mix, refrigerate, shape and bake! Gluten-Free Vegan. Free of nuts, yeast and gums!
Fresh is Real is sharing the simplest baking method possible to encourage beginner bread bakers to try this grain-free bread recipe!
Note: If you can consume yeasted loaves prepared with wild yeast, you can use a grain-free sourdough starter as a leavening option. Read complete recipe post for details.
1 cup banana flour (green banana flour)
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup sunflower seed flour (or pumpkin seed flour)*
1/2 cup tigernut flour
1/2 cup arrowroot starch/flour
2 tablespoons psyllium husk, whole
1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
1/2 tablespoon fine sea salt
1-3/4 water, room temperature (filtered or spring)
2 tablespoons baking powder (GF, AF, CF)**
Tip: Soaking the dough mixture overnight (12 hours) is beneficial to break down the ingredients. Start this recipe in the evening.
- In a large bowl, sift and combine all dry ingredients—except for baking powder.
- Add 1 cup of water to start and mix until absorbed, add the remaining 3/4 cups of water and mix until well combined.
- Cover bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight for at least 12 hours.
- In the morning, remove bowl from the refrigerator.
- If ready to bake, preheat the oven and Dutch oven (and baking stone)*** to 450° F (min. 45 minutes) on the middle rack.
- Uncover dough, loosen edges with a spatula, add baking powder, and mix in (or knead in) with hand or spoon directly into the mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle working surface with a little flour (any flour used in the recipe).
- Remove dough from bowl, sprinkle with flour and gently flatten with fingers to an approx. 8 x 10-in rectangle.
- Fold the dough in half, if the dough is very sticky, sprinkle with a little more flour, and fold in half again.
- Repeat this step (flatten to a rectangle, fold in half and half again) one to two more times until dough comes together nicely.
- Tuck seems underneath to create a nice dough ball, dust with flour and place onto parchment paper.
- Cover with a tea towel for 15-30 minutes or until oven is nice and hot (preheated for 45 minutes up to 1 hour).
- With oven mitts, remove preheated Dutch oven from the oven—be careful it will be hot—and set aside.
- Uncover your loaf, dust with more flour if necessary, score the top of your dough with lines or a simple pattern.
- Spray with a mist of water/olive oil (optional), transfer dough and parchment paper to Dutch oven.
- Cover Dutch oven and place in the oven onto hot baking stone—if you have one—if not directly on middle oven rack.
- Bake for 25 minutes covered, 25 minutes uncovered and 10 minutes directly onto baking stone or oven rack without parchment paper.
- Remove the bread from the oven and place on cooling rack.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing! Enjoy!
The loaf keeps on the kitchen counter for one day covered with a tea towel and in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
This bread is fantastic fresh with your favourite spread or toasted once refrigerated!
** This recipe includes gluten-free, aluminum-free, corn-free baking powder. Baking powder ingredients; tapioca starch, cream of tartar, baking soda.
*** The baking stone is optional but great to use if you have one. It will help your loaf rise.
**** Tip: If the bread dents when touched, keep it in the oven for a few minutes longer. The loaf is ready once it sounds crispy and hard when tapped with a finger.
Keywords: Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Nut-Free, Yeast-Free, Gum-Free, Allergen-Friendly, Plant-Based, Bread, Loaf, How to Make Grain-Free Bread