Everyone needs at least one go-to simple-to-make gravy recipe. Pour this sauce all over your favourite bowl of comfort plant-based foods. A drizzle will not be sufficient—it’s that good!
1/2 cup white onions, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated (optional)
1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste*
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon Tamari or Coconut Aminos (or more to taste)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper (or more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional—only if you like spice)
1 tablespoon arrowroot or oat flour** (to help thicken the sauce)
- In a medium sauce pot, on medium heat, add olive oil, onions, mushrooms, thyme, grated ginger and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, Tamari, and seasoning.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While things are simmering, add 1 tablespoon of arrowroot flour to a small bowl and mix with a little water or broth, and add it to the pot.
- Transfer everything to a high-speed blender or blend with a hand blender, purée until smooth and return to saucepot.
- Enjoy right away, or keep warm until ready to eat.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
* Substitute with 2 tablespoons of either bbq sauce, ketchup or tomato sauce.
** Use gluten-free arrowroot or oat flour if you have a gluten allergy or intolerance.