This quick-to-make baked treat is perfect for any occasion. Enjoy the Carrot Cake Bars plain, with maple syrup or maple icing.
- 1 ripe banana, mashed (110g)
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal (28g)
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar* (30g)
- 3/4 cup plant milk (200g)
- 1 cup GF quick oats** (86g)
- 1/2 cup light buckwheat flour (70g)
- 1/4 cup potato starch*** (40g)
- 2 teaspoons GF baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla bean powder****
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrots (50-60g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (16g)
- 1/4 cup organic dried raisins***** (70g)
Maple Icing Ideas:
- Maple syrup (3 tbsps) mixed with organic powdered sugar (up to 1 cup)
- Vegan cream cheese (1 heaping tbsp), maple syrup (3 tbsps) and powdered sugar (up to 1 cup)
- Make a batch of the delicious Maple Cream!
Before you begin, watch the step-by-step video to help you make this recipe.
Preheat your oven to 350° F and line a 9×9-in baking dish with unbleached parchment paper.
Mash the banana in a large mixing bowl. Then add the flaxseed meal, palm sugar, plant milk and give it a quick mix.
To the same bowl, add the GF quick oats, light buckwheat flour, potato starch, GF baking powder, sea salt, vanilla bean powder and mix until the dry ingredients are combined. Fold in the shredded carrots, shredded coconut and raisins.
Transfer the mixture to your baking dish, smooth it out evenly and bake for 25-28 minutes or until the cake center is set.
Cool in the dish for 10 minutes. Then pull out the cake with the help of the parchment paper. Remove the parchment paper, or else the underside will get soggy and finish cooling on a wire rack. Once cooled, you can leave the cake whole or cut it into 16 squares. Enjoy them as is or with a drizzle of maple syrup or maple icing.
Plant-Milk Options: Plain unsweetened homemade hemp milk, nut milk (if not allergic), soy, rice, oat
GF Baking Powder: I use Purest.ca GF baking powder. Ingredients: tapioca starch, cream of tartar, baking soda.
Vegan Cream Cheese: I’ve never tried or tested nut-free vegan cream cheese, so I can’t recommend any brands at this time.
Spices: If you love cinnamon, nutmeg or even powdered ginger, go ahead and add a little. I suggest 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon for the cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon for nutmeg and 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon for the ginger.
*Sub with cane sugar or maple sugar.
**Sub with almond meal/flour if you’re not allergic to nuts.
***Sub with tapioca or arrowroot starch.
****Sub with 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
*****Sub with small diced apples, chopped up Medjool dates or apricots, golden raisins.
I did not test all these substitutions. They are suggestions based on my experience. If you try something else and it worked well, please let us know in the recipe post comments.
Keywords: Gluten-Free Carrot Cake, Vegan Carrot Cake, Carrot Cake Bars