This GF sourdough version of yummy bread rolls is based on the original Soft Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls recipe. The only difference is for this recipe, you omit the active dry yeast and replace it with 1/2 cup of active GF sourdough starter. A brown rice flour starter is perfect. Also, in the gluten-free (also egg-free) sourdough rolls, I recommend increasing the whole psyllium husk to 3 tablespoons.
- 1 cup light buckwheat flour (120g)
- 1/2 cup white rice flour (70g)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (65g)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour/starch (60g)
- 1/2 cup potato starch (70g)
- 1/2 cup seed or nut flour (50g)
- 3 tablespoons whole psyllium husk (21g)
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar (8g)
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt (6g)
- 1/2 cup active GF sourdough starter (132g)
- 1 cup homemade hemp milk (240g)
- 1 cup warm water (240g)
- Olive oil (optional)
See notes below to make hemp milk with 1/3 cup hemp hearts, 1-1/4 cup water.
Before you start, watch this short how-to video, it will help you with this recipe.
Prepare hemp milk by blending 1/3 cup of hemp hearts with 1-1/4 cups of water in a small blender. Blend until smooth, then strain the milk through a mesh bag.
Sift all your dry ingredients (GF flours, starches, seed/nut flour, etc.), even the 3 tablespoons of whole psyllium husk.
Remove the sifter, mix the dry ingredients.
Add GF sourdough starter, milk and half the water and mix a little. Add remaining water and continue mixing until everything is well combined.
Cover and rest the dough for 2 hours in the mixing bowl.
Transfer dough to flour-dusted surface.
Dust with flour and stretch and fold a few times.
Divide the dough into 8 to 10 equal pieces.
Gently shape into rolls and place in a flour-dusted muffin tin to rise.
Rise the dough rolls for about 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 425-450° F. If you have a baking stone, preheat it as well.
Transfer the dough rolls on a parchment-lined baking sheet, brush with olive oil if you wish and score each top with one cut line about 1/4-in deep.
To bake with steam, you’ll want to place a second baking tray on the bottom rack of your oven. Transfer the dough rolls to the hot preheated middle oven rack, pour some water in the bottom rack water tray (or add ice cubes) and bake rolls for about 25 minutes. Flip over (if you wish) and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes.
Cool rolls on a wire rack until completely cool. Slice and enjoy fresh with your favourite spread or toast the leftovers!
- Arrowroot starch is an excellent substitute for tapioca flour/starch.
- I’ve tested organic raw sunflower, pumpkin and also tried almond meal flour. Only use almond flour if you are not allergic.
- For the best bread, please use non-chlorinated water. Filtered and spring water works great.
- You can try other kinds of plant-based milk. I often use hemp milk as it’s allergen-friendly and a wonderful 2-ingredient homemade milk. To make your own hemp milk, combine 1/3 cup of organic hemp seeds with 1-1/4 cups of water and blend in a high-speed blender until white and frothy. Pour the hemp milk through a mesh bag or fine mesh sieve to remove larger unwanted bits.
Keywords: Bread Rolls, Sourdough Bread, GF Dinner Rolls, Gluten-Free Vegan Bread Rolls, Gluten-Free Sourdough