If you’re looking to make healthier treats for all to enjoy, these Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Scones are a must try! They will surely impress your friends and family—even the ones without dietary restrictions! Grab a cup of tea, or coffee, and enjoy every little bite of these nutrient-packed blueberry scones!
1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk or homemade hemp milk*
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or ACV
1–1/2 cups oat flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 maple syrup or coconut palm sugar
2 tablespoons ground flax or whole psyllium husk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (optional)
1/3 cup vegan butter**
2/3 cup small frozen blueberries + 1 tablespoon of flour (buckwheat or oat)
Optional: additional maple syrup and/or Turbinado sugar for top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup combine milk and lemon juice and let sit until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, maple syrup, flax, baking powder, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, vanilla bean powder and mix well.
- Add soured milk and mix.
- Mix in vegan butter until distributed throughout.
- Coat frozen blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour. This will help contain the blueberry juice within the berry.
- Gently fold in blueberries to the dough mixture.
- With a spatula, remove the dough from bowl and place onto an unbleached parchment lined baking sheet or baking stone.
- Spread dough to approximately 9 inches in diameter. Be gentle, don’t flatten or press down on the dough.
- Score your dough into 6 slices with a large knife.
- With a pie server or the large knife, gently space out the slices to add space in-between each. This step is optional as it will bake nicely with or without space.
- Brush the top of each slice with a touch of maple syrup and/or sprinkle some turbinado sugar. This will help the tops get golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to oven, bake for at least 25 minutes, up to 30 minutes. Scones will be ready when edges are golden brown.
- Let cool and enjoy!
* To make homemade hemp milk, blend 1/3 cup hemp hearts with 1-1/4 cups of water.
** You could try using soft (but not melted) coconut oil but please note that I did not test this ingredient.
If you follow a strict gluten-free lifestyle please make sure all your ingredients are labelled gluten-free.
The buckwheat flour I used while testing this recipe is light in colour and mild in taste. Did you know that you can transform buckwheat groats, grains and even seeds into a fine flour with a coffee/spice grinder? It works really well! You can sift the flour afterwards to remove any unwanted larger bits.
The scones will keep on the kitchen counter for one day, then transfer to refrigerator for up to 3 days.