The perfect muffins to make when you want a nutritious baked good filled with fresh carrots, apples, orange juice and zest! Adding unsweetened shredded coconut and organic raisins creates the best bundle of flavour all in one little gluten-free, vegan and allergen-friendly treat!
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup plant (non-dairy) milk*
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup, orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1 small apple, grated (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 (generous) cup carrot, finely grated
- 1 cup GF quick cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch or tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 teaspoons GF baking powder**
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup dry organic raisins
- Turbinado sugar
- 8 carrot strands for rose swirls
Preheat your oven to 350° F. Line a muffin tin with 8 unbleached parchment paper muffin liners.
To a mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients starting with the water and flaxseed meal and mix. Continue by adding the milk, sugar, orange juice, vanilla extract, orange zest and mix. Lastly, add in the grated apple and carrots and mix. Set aside for now.
To a separate large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients except for the raisins and mix.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients bowl, add the raisins and mix well until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Don’t over mix.
Divide and transfer the muffin mixture into 8 equal parts. To make the carrots swirls, you will need to peel a carrot. With the help of the carrot peeler, make eight long (4 to 6-in) strands. Carefully roll each piece into a swirl and place one on each muffin top. Gently press down on each curl. You can sprinkle each muffin with a little turbinado sugar, but doing so is optional.
Fill the 4 remaining empty muffin cavities with a little water (1/4-in) to help the muffins bake evenly. Bake for 30 minutes. They are ready when the tops and edges are no longer moist and bounce back when gently touched.
Remove muffins from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack until cooled! Enjoy them fresh or the next day. You can store them in a covered glass container or large plastic zip lock bag at room temperature. You can also freeze a few for later.
*You can probably use any plant milk (e.g., almond, oat, soy, rice). I tried coconut milk from a carton (I had some to test) but usually make homemade hemp milk for baked goods. **Gluten-free, corn-free, aluminum-free.
Keywords: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Plant-Based, Allergen-Friendly, Muffins, Morning Glory Muffins, Nut-Free, Oil-Free Muffins, Gluten-Free Vegan Muffins, Carrot Muffins