If you are craving tomato soup, you will have to try this recipe! I chose to roast the vegetables first to enhance the natural flavours of the ingredients to create an amazing, delicious and very nutritious tomato soup.
- 3 cups tomatoes, sliced (oven roasted) about 6 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, cut in half (oven roasted)
- 3 small snacking peppers (oven roasted)
- 1/2 cup onions, sliced (oven roasted) about 1 small to medium onion
- 2–3 garlic cloves, peeled (oven roasted)
- 2 small eggplants, sliced (oven roasted) about 2-1/2 cups
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan or sea salt
- 1/8 tsp Jamaican allspice or nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Wash and prep all vegetables: slice tomatoes, onions and eggplants and cut the red pepper in half
- Line a baking tray with unbleached parchment paper, place and distribute the vegetables
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh chopped thyme
- Bake for 40 minutes, check every 15 minutes to make sure that nothing is burning
- Remove from oven when soft, roasted and caramelized
- Place all roasted veggies in a blender and purée until smooth
- Add coconut milk to blender and blend to incorporate
- Pour puréed soup into a medium saucepan, turn on stove top to low and warm soup (about 10 mins)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Top your soup with crushed coconut chips or seeds. Serve and enjoy!
Feel free to use different kinds of tomatoes, onions, and peppers. Don’t cut your vegetables too small or thin for the roasting step, nice thick slices are great. For smaller ingredients like garlic cloves, you can smash them, then roast. Store any leftovers in a glass jar for up to 1 week.