We all crave of a variety of flavours and dishes—especially when consuming a lot of plant-based foods! Spice things up in your meal rotation with this quick-to-prepare Vegetable Taco Filling. A great healthy recipe to enjoy for a variety of dietary preferences.
Use organic produce when possible
2 cups small cauliflower florets
1 small zucchini, grated
1 carrot, peeled and grated
4 celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup white or green onions, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
Optional but nice to include vegetables
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped (or 1/4 cup green peppers, chopped for a milder version)
Organic spice mix*
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika**
1/2 teaspoon paprika**
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon (or just a dash) cayenne pepper
Green onions, purple cabbage, cucumbers, radishes, sliced peppers, fresh cilantro, chives, quick pickled onions, vegan cheese, a drizzle of your favourite salad dressing.
Additional serving suggestions:
This mild spicy mix is also great with steamed rice, GF pasta, in a salad, on even on its own!
- In a large stainless steel frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onions, celery, zucchini, carrots, and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the spices and tomato paste, add fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve with GF brown rice, corn or lettuce wraps, enjoy!
* If you’re not sure about the variety of spices used, add just a little less the first time around. To make this dish spicier, add more. Including a chopped up jalapeno pepper in the mixture will also increase the heat.
** If you don’t have both smoked and regular paprika don’t worry, using just one or the other will be just fine.