If you have a butternut squash to cook, this warm, comforting Butternut Squash Leek Soup recipe will be perfect as it’s simple to make, nutritious and oh so delicious!
1 butternut squash, skin/seeds removed, cubed (3 cups roasted)
2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1 leek (white part), chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped (handful)
1/2 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, stem removed
2 cups organic vegetable broth*
1/4 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Spread cubed squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet, drizzle a little olive oil, sprinkle with the first amount of sea salt, garlic powder and pepper and roast for 40 minutes until edges start to crisp up (and/or until pieces are tender).
- Prep the rest of your veggies and herbs.
- Once squash is almost ready, add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, with onions, leek, red pepper and herbs to a large soup pot.
- Cook down veggies on low-medium heat until softened, add roasted squash, vegetable broth, the second amount of seasoning with cinnamon and bring to a soft boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender and purée until smooth**.
- Return purée to pot, reheat on low if necessary, serve with your favourite soup toppings (seeds, chives/green onions, herbs) and enjoy!
* If you prefer your soups to be thinner add one more cup of broth while simmering the veggies or once you return the puréed soup to the pot to warm up before serving.
** Make sure your high-speed blender can handle hot liquids.
Keywords: Butternut Squash Leek Soup, Soup, Vegan, Plant-Based, Allergen-Friendly, Kid-Friendly, Simple Soup, Nutritious Soup