Recipes like this Butternut Squash Leek Soup are perfect because they make you utilize squash, a fantastic seasonal ingredient in a way most enjoy!
I can’t seem to successfully get my kids to try squash on its own. Does your family like squash? Although, if I blend the squash and other ingredients into a soup, it transforms it into a smooth texture they are willing to taste.
Soups are a great way to get your kiddos to consume a portion of their required daily intake of vegetables.
Stay in optimal healthy shape by upping your intake of veggie-packed meals like this soup to avoid getting nasty bugs like colds or the flu during the colder months.
Variety of Dietary Preferences
When you need to prepare food for a family gathering that includes a variety of dietary preferences, this is a great soup recipe to try. It’s free of gluten, dairy, nuts and it’s vegan!
Don’t rack your brain for complicated dishes, keep it simple! If you have guests with special dietary needs, share this recipe with them, or surprise them by making it for them!
Always double-check the ingredients with them first, just in case they have more allergies and food sensitivities that you might be aware of.
This Butternut Squash Leek Soup recipe is prepared by oven roasting the squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cooking down and simmering the ingredients on the stovetop, to puréeing the soup in a high-speed blender that can handle hot liquids.
Here on Fresh is Real, I try and alternate between healthier fresh recipes amongst my bread and baked treats. Even though I probably enjoy baking way more, I feel it’s crucial to balance what we eat to stay healthy and feel great.
This time I’m sharing a healthier recipe, so go to your kitchen and prepare yourself this nutritious Butternut Squash Leek Soup, then go bake some Easy Apple Cheddar Herb Biscuits to enjoy with the soup!
Share Your Creations
If you made this Butternut Squash Leek Soup, please take a picture! Share it on Instagram and tag it @freshisreal_ #freshisreal
And, don’t forget to rate the recipe below!
If you have a butternut squash to cook, this warm, comforting Butternut Squash Leek Soup recipe will be perfect as it’s simple to make, nutritious and oh so delicious!
1 butternut squash, skin/seeds removed, cubed (3 cups roasted)
2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1 leek (white part), chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped (handful)
1/2 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, stem removed
2 cups organic vegetable broth*
1/4 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Spread cubed squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet, drizzle a little olive oil, sprinkle with the first amount of sea salt, garlic powder and pepper and roast for 40 minutes until edges start to crisp up (and/or until pieces are tender).
- Prep the rest of your veggies and herbs.
- Once squash is almost ready, add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, with onions, leek, red pepper and herbs to a large soup pot.
- Cook down veggies on low-medium heat until softened, add roasted squash, vegetable broth, the second amount of seasoning with cinnamon and bring to a soft boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender and purée until smooth**.
- Return purée to pot, reheat on low if necessary, serve with your favourite soup toppings (seeds, chives/green onions, herbs) and enjoy!
* If you prefer your soups to be thinner add one more cup of broth while simmering the veggies or once you return the puréed soup to the pot to warm up before serving.
** Make sure your high-speed blender can handle hot liquids.
Keywords: Butternut Squash Leek Soup, Soup, Vegan, Plant-Based, Allergen-Friendly, Kid-Friendly, Simple Soup, Nutritious Soup