These chewy bars are packed with nutrient-dense ingredients, sweetened with mashed banana (and the optional touch of maple syrup or raw honey), and make the best easy dessert or energy bar. The Coconut Banana Seed Bars are ideal for school and office parties, as they are free of the top allergens. Serve them plain or jazzed up with a little drizzle of dark chocolate, a couple cranberries or goji berries, and coconut chip(s).
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + extra to decorate (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, ground*
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds, ground*
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons creamy sunflower or pumpkin seed butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or raw honey (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon organic vanilla bean powder (or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grey sea salt (or sea salt)
- Optional add-in: 1 tablespoon cacao nibs or 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (allergen-free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Measure and add all ingredients to a large bowl, mix well.
- If you wish, add in cacao nibs or chocolate chips, incorporate into the mix.
- Transfer mixture to lined baking sheet and spread to an 8 x 5-in rectangular (about 1/2-in thick).
- Top with extra shredded coconut. Gently pat down on coconut to help it stick.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven for the next step.
- Cut into 12 bars, whichever shape you wish.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes to help crisp up edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy!
- Optional decoration: drizzle dark chocolate over bars and finish with cranberries, or goji berries, and coconut chip(s).
Store in covered glass container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freezer for up to 3 months.
* You can use a coffee grinder to transform your seeds into a flour. Coarse or fine will work great!