Add your extra gluten-free starter to this comforting banana bread recipe. Prepare this nutritious allergy-free snack for school or the office. A simplified version of my Banana Sourdough Seed Loaf recipe.
1 tablespoon white whole chia seeds or ground flax + 4 tablespoons hot water
1 cup large oats*
1/2 cup quick oats*
1/2 cup oat flour*
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder**
1 teaspoon baking soda**
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
1 cup active brown rice gluten-free starter***
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a parchment-lined 8 x 8-in square baking dish****.
- Prepare vegan egg in a small bowl, mix, and let sit until ready to use.
- Mash bananas directly in a large mixing bowl.
- Measure out all dry and ingredients, add them to the large bowl.
- Add coconut oil, vegan egg to the same large bowl and mix well.
- Gently fold in one cup of bubbly active gluten-free sourdough starter and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into your parchment-lined bread pan, sprinkle top with a few oats (optional).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45-50 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Using parchment paper, gently pull out the loaf from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, enjoy on its own or with a little drizzle of maple syrup!
Keeps on the counter for one day. Transfer to refrigerator for up to 5 days.
* If you don’t have both large oats and quick oats I’m sure you could probably use 1-1/2 cups of the same. I like adding both for texture. If you don’t have oat flour, use a coffee or spice grinder to transform the oats into a fine flour.
** I use an aluminum-free, corn-free, gluten-free baking powder and baking soda.
*** Starters prepared with other gluten-free flours like millet, sorghum, or buckwheat might work equally well.
**** Coconut oil is great to oil your dish. Make sure your baking dish is oven safe.
Keywords: Banana, Bread, Sourdough, Starter, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Quick Bread