Make a double batch of this gravy! When you need to jazz up a meal, it will become your go-to sauce for everything!
Poutine lover? Bake up some homemade fries, add some cheese and drizzle some of this gravy goodness right on top! You can thank me later!
Must have ingredients:
- 1/2 cup white onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (2-3 sprigs, remove large stem)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste*
- 1 tablespoon Tamari (or Coconut Aminos)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (or oat flour or potato starch)
Nice to add ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (or hemp or sunflower seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 fresh garlic bulb, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adds great spice)
- In a saucepot, on medium heat, add olive oil, onions, garlic, mushrooms, thyme, grated ginger and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, Tamari, and seasoning.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While things are simmering, add 1 tablespoon of arrowroot flour to a small bowl and mix with a little water or broth, and add it to the pot.
- Transfer everything to a high-speed blender or blend with an immersion blender, purée until smooth and return to saucepot.
- Enjoy right away, or keep warm until ready to eat.
* Substitute with 2 tablespoons of either bbq sauce, ketchup or tomato sauce. Make sure the substitute meets your dietary needs. I’ve even added a large fresh tomato and it’s equally amazing!
If you like your gravy saltier or with more pepper please season the sauce accordingly.
Store leftovers in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Tip: Are you feeding more than 4 people? Consider prepping a double batch!
Keywords: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Gravy, Sauce, Allergen-Friendly, Shepherd’s Pie, Kid-Approved, Comforting, Best, Poutine