Imagine the perfect holiday meal with creamy mashed potatoes, The Best Gluten-Free Vegan Gravy and Vegetable Beetloaf! This dish is a simple and creative way to serve vegetables! It’s packed with an abundance of fresh produce: beets, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, peas, corn, onion, garlic, herbs, and a few more standard ingredients plus it’s gluten-free, vegan and allergen-friendly!
3 medium red or golden beets, peeled and diced (1/2-3/4-in), (2 cups chunky purée)
1 carrot, peeled and grated (1/2 cup)
8 mushrooms, brown cremini or white, chopped (1 to 1-1/2 cup)
1 large potato, peeled and diced (generous full cup)
1 medium onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
1 generous cup, organic canned chickpeas, rinsed and strained
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernel
1/3 cup fresh or frozen peas
1/3 cup red pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
8-12 fresh thyme sprigs, large stems removed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Flavour Add-Ins (Optional):
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line two baking sheets or large oven-safe dishes with parchment paper.
- Line two bread pans (approx. 7.5 x 3.5 inches) with parchment paper.
- To begin, peel and dice your beets and place them on the first baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and some fresh thyme.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring the beets around at least twice while baking.
- While the beets are in the oven, prepare the remaining vegetables (carrot, mushrooms, potato, onions, corn, peas, red pepper, garlic, more thyme) along with the chickpeas and place on the second baking sheet and toss with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bake the second tray of vegetable for 30 minutes, stirring things around at least twice while baking.
- Once the beets are ready, transfer them to a blender and blend until roughly puréed.
- To a large bowl, add beets and additional vegetables once ready.
- Mashed the other vegetable with a potato masher to crush the larger bits of veggies.
- Add remaining ingredients: pepper, sea salt, tomato paste, hemp hearts, quick oats, flax meal, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast, Tamari and mix until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to two lined bread pans. See process pictures for visual guidance. The mix should be about 1.5 inches high in each pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, uncovered.
- Slice and serve right away! Great reheated the next day!
Please note that if the beetloaf is kept in the bread pan with the parchment paper, some moisture might form at the bottom of each loaf. Consider transferring the loaves to a serving plate. Keep warm until ready to serve.
REMINDER: Don’t forget to prepare and cook some potatoes (mashed or baked) with some of The Best Gluten-Free Vegan Gravy while the loaves are baking.
To store, transfer loaves to a glass container with a cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze extra leftovers.
* Binder: if you don’t have hemp hearts you can use 1/2 cups GF quick oats or 1/2 cup of a combo of oats and flax meal. Don’t want to use oats, you can sub with almond meal if you’re not allergic or replace with a seed flour.
Keywords: gluten-free, vegan, beetloaf, beet loaf, plant-based, loaf, plant-based, beets, vegetables, allergen-friendly