Making simple soup recipes is key when you’re hungry and don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen.
The list of ingredients for this Cauliflower Mushroom Soup was kept as short. In doing so, the combination of vegetables, spices, herbs and broth created a beautiful rustic soup that will nourish your belly and keep your family happy and asking for more!
This post might include affiliate links. I love developing recipes, and by showing you which products I use means that if you click, follow and make a purchase from a link, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Monetizing my work will encourage me to continue, as creating content for a food blog takes a lot of time.
The following tools are what you will need to make this Cauliflower Mushroom Soup:
- soup pot
- cutting board
- knives: large knife, paring knife
- blender: high-speed (e.i. Vitamix) or handheld immersion blender.
Please note that when preparing a recipe that is simple with few ingredients it’s important to use the freshest vegetables and herbs, etc.
If you’re making this soup for guests, wow them by decorating your soup. Find the best-looking mushrooms and the Romanesco type of cauliflower is absolutely eye-catching!
Feel free to try the coloured variety of cauliflower as well. It might not show as much in the soup because it’s cooked and puréed but decorating your soup with it would be oh so impressive!
In February, I shared a modified gluten-free and vegan coconut macaroon recipe. Visit the recipe post to read more on how I tweaked the ingredients also to make it an allergen-friendly treat.
This recipe gets its beautiful purple hue from sweet potatoes! When oven-baked the purple sweet potato gets creamy and is an excellent addition to the macaroons recipe as it helps to bind things together without making the macaroons overly sweet.
Recipe post: Purple Coconut Macaroons
Share your creations
Did you make this Cauliflower Mushroom Soup recipe? Share a picture and tag @freshisreal with hashtag #freshisreal
One more thing, let us know if you used coconut milk or another plant-based milk. Please comment below and rate this soup recipe.
A creamy plant-based soup recipe that is easy to make with only a short list of ingredients! The combination of cauliflower and mushrooms makes this gluten-free, vegan and allergen-friendly soup delicious and nutritious!
1 medium white onion, chopped (1-1/2 cup chopped)
8oz. mushrooms, white or brown, sliced (4 cups sliced)*
2 garlic cloves, minced
2-4 fresh thyme sprigs (remove hard stems)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cauliflower head, cut up in smaller pieces (4 cups florets)**
4 cups organic vegetable broth
1/2 cup coconut cream***
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Optional serving garnishes:
- Green onions
- Pumpkin, hemp or sunflower seeds
- Finely chopped fresh herbs
- *Grilled mushroom slices (keep a few mushrooms for this option)
- **Chopped up (or tiny florets) raw cauliflower (reserve 1/4-1/2 cup)
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, combine the oil, onion, mushrooms, garlic, thyme and olive oil. Cook on medium heat for about 8-10 minutes. Stir around once in a while, so it doesn’t stick.
- Add the cauliflower, vegetable broth, coconut cream and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender and purée until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot, season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, stir and taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Keep warm on the lowest setting until ready to serve.
- Garnish and enjoy!
***Thicker creamier part of the coconut milk. You can sub the coconut cream for another plant-based milk. Please note that I haven’t tried it, but I’m sure it will be great! Just make sure that it’s a thicker creamier type of milk.
Keep any leftovers in glass jars or containers for up to 7 days in the refrigerator!
Ps. Have fun with this recipe! Use a different coloured type of cauliflower, or the Romanesco variety is also very pretty! That’s the one I used for this recipe.
One more thing, the pumpkin seeds I used to decorate the soup are these gorgeous seeds by Skuta.
Keywords: Soup, Vegan, Plant-Based, Easy Recipes, Gluten-Free Soups, Mushrooms, Cauliflower