Can you believe that I had never made fresh cranberries sauce before this past holiday season? It was passed around at the dinner table on special occasions when I was growing up, but I never reached for it. Not sure why? Perhaps the thought of combining this sauce with other things did not appeal to me at the time.
Well, let me tell you that I am now a cranberry lover! This Cranberry Compote recipe is straightforward. And like with many other of my culinary creations I try very hard to keep the sugar levels as low as I can.
Some maple syrup and Medjool dates were used to help sweeten the whole but just enough to cut down on some of the tartness.
You will taste the lemon, lime and nutmeg with every bite. Take the time to appreciate these flavours brought together in this beautiful jam-like spread.
It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook. And if you’re anything like me you will put in on toast—every chance you get—add a spoonful to your coconut yogurt and seed granola snack, or even top your next bowl of nice cream with a dollop.
Share your creations
Follow Fresh is Real on Instagram or Pinterest.
Like my Facebook page.
Tag your photo @freshisreal_ #freshisreal
Please leave a comment below if you’ve tried this amazing Cranberry Compote. I’m going to be testing some allergen-friendly muffins (or loaf) later and I am for sure including some of this compote as an add-in!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Dessert, Sauce, Condiment
- Cuisine: Plant-Based | Allergen-Friendly | Naturally Sweetened
Be prepared for an explosion of flavours with this naturally sweetened deliciousness! Try to use fresh organic cranberries and the best Medjool dates for this easy recipe! I really enjoy this compote with coconut yogurt and homemade seed granola. And make sure to save a scoop as an add-in for your next healthy muffin recipe!
- 2 packages (227 g each) fresh organic cranberries (about 4 cups)
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed organic orange juice (about 2 small oranges)
- 2 teaspoons organic orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1/8 teaspoon vanilla bean powder)
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed organic lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon organic lime zest
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Rinse fresh cranberries and remove bad ones.
- Transfer berries to a large sauce pot, add remaining ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a soft boil over medium heat.
- Once bubbling, reduce heat to low and loosely cover as cranberries love to pop!
- Simmer for about 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool and transfer to a favourite jar(s).
Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.