I still have many vegetables in my refrigerator from my local CSA basket to transform into nutritious meals. At times though, I just want to enjoy something quick and straightforward, and this Vegetable Leek Soup is a perfect example. Even your kids will love it because everything gets puréed to a smooth texture. For children, you can always add cooked rice or pasta to make it more fun for them to eat. For adults, think of it as a warm smoothie bowl!
Prepare a batch and enjoy it throughout the week. Don’t be afraid to substitute a vegetable for another. You can’t mess up soup like this one.
I’m feeling a bit challenged lately. As a person that struggles with food sensitivities and gut issues, I now have to eliminate a few more things from my diet like garlic, onions, leeks, etc. Bummer right!
I use so much of those alliums in all my recipes to add flavour to my everyday dishes. I will have to find new ways to season my recipes for a while.
These highly reactive foods are part of the FODMAP diet (crazy list here). Onions, garlic, and leeks (to name a few) are in the ‘must avoid’ red list. I’m curious to see if eliminating them will make me feel better.
It’s hopefully not long term but who knows at this point. I do kind of chuckle at the possibility that those ingredients could have been making my symptoms worse. There I thought I was helping concoct safe dishes for my family and I. It just goes to show that everyone reacts differently to various foods. What might be healing for one could be the cause of so much discomfort for others?
As amazing as this soup is, it’s not FODMAP approved! But it is vegan, allergen-friendly and nutrient-packed!
Try and let me know what you think!
I enjoy serving this soup with some hemp, sunflower, or pumpkin seeds and more chopped up kale or chard leaves. My homemade Coconut Seed Granola that was part of my Coconut Chia Applesauce Parfait would also add the perfect combination of textures to this thick and comforting Vegetable Leek Soup. The perfect meal for the cooler days ahead!
If you’re looking for more simple soup recipes you could try the Easy Dairy-Free Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup recipe I posted a few weeks ago.
SHARE YOUR CREATIONS
If you made this Vegetable Leek Soup recipe, please leave a comment below, tell me about your experience, and rate the recipe.
Enjoy this soup! It’s easy-to-make and so good!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 leeks, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut up into smaller pieces
- 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 zucchinis (or small squash), cut up into smaller pieces (2-3 cups)
- ½ fennel bulb, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 thumb-sized ginger root, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 thumb-sized turmeric root, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth*
- 1 cup fresh kale or chard, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (save for blending)
- ½ - 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat large soup pot to medium, add olive oil, leeks, onions and garlic, cook until softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, zucchini (or squash), ginger, turmeric, fennel, vegetable broth, salt and pepper and bring to boil.
- Reduce temperature to low and simmer for about 20 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
- Add 1 cup of chopped up kale or chard to the cooked vegetables.
- Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender** (I used a Vitamix) and purée until smooth.
- Add fresh cilantro and purée again until cilantro is chopped up into smaller bits and combined with soup.
- Return puréed soup to pot, keep warm on low heat or with the lid on until ready to serve.
- Enjoy your soup with sprinkled hemp, sunflower, or pumpkin seeds and some more chopped up greens!
*Not vegan if chicken broth is used.
** Make sure your blender can handle very hot liquids. If not, let your soup cool before blending.