Fresh, juicy, local and seasonal strawberries usually mean lots of homemade jam at my house! I tested a few batches with various ingredients and to be honest this Strawberry Rhubarb Jam and Dressing version is by far our favourite!
The jam and dressing are fantastic on pretty much everything and equally amazing on their own—right from the jar! Keep reading for the recipe!
Fresh Strawberries and Rhubarb
I don’t have a large backyard, but I am fortunate to have a generous amount of fresh rhubarb this year. My mom divided up one of her plants with me a couple of years ago. This year it grew like crazy, and I’m thrilled to use it in a recipe such as this one.
Cooking sweet fresh strawberries with some rhubarb adds a certain tartness to the jam and dressing. To some, it might be a little sour but once enjoyed with other foods like on toasts, pancakes, ice cream, yogurt, salads, sliced avocados and even a baked potato it creates a mind-blowing combo of flavours!
Fresh is Real
I don’t tend to purchase jam or dressings at the store anymore. I cringe at the amount of sugar that is added to such recipes. And I don’t particularly like buying anything with added acids, gums or preservatives of any kind. I’m trying to eat as cleanly as possible.
It’s great to have a few go-to homemade sauces, jams and dressings like this Strawberry Rhubarb Jam and Dressing in your fridge. Doing so will help you quickly transform your meals. We don’t have to eat bland foods, the solution is to have healthy add-ins to jazz things up!
Gluten-Free Vegan Baking Facebook Group
If you like jam, you must love bread! Please join my Facebook Group if you love to bake as much as our growing list of new members!
This GFV Baking group was set up to help troubleshoot challenging allergen-friendly baking questions for my recipes, or their own, that requires a little tweaking. It’s also where I share my newest creations like my latest Quick Butternut Squash Sourdough recipe before anyone else sees them live on the blog.
This group is a great place to share ideas, tips and tricks about baking without gluten, dairy, eggs, or other top allergens. Below are some of the recipes that we discuss:
- Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Scone
- Yeast-Free Gluten-Free Vegan Bread
- Basic Yeasted Dough Gluten-Free Vegan
- Buckwheat Sourdough Loaf Gluten-Free Vegan
- Gluten-Free Sourdough Starter
- Sourdough Starter Banana Bread
- Quick Butternut Squash Sourdough
Share Your Creations
I hope you try this Strawberry Rhubarb Jam and Dressing recipe! If you do, take a picture, and share it with us on Instagram. Tag it @freshisreal_ #freshisreal
And, don’t forget to rate and comment on your experience below. This step is essential to help others find this recipe!Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam and Dressing
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: Less than 1 hour
- Yield: 3+ cups jam - 1+ cup dressing
- Category: Condiments, Sauces, Dressings, Jams
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Allergen-Friendly, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
This naturally sweetened recipe makes both jam and some dressing. The jam is fantastic on toast and pancakes, with yogurt, ice cream, and the dressing is delicious on green salads, sliced avocado, or even loaded baked potatoes. And yes, it’s ok to eat some right out of the jar—even my dad has admitted in doing so!
4 cups fresh strawberries, cut in smaller pieces
2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into smaller pieces
1/2 cup organic maple syrup
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Pinch fine grey sea salt or sea salt (less than 1/8 teaspoon) (optional)
Optional jam add-in
1/4 cup whole white chia seeds
1 cup Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
1/4 cup olive oil*
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/8 fine grey sea salt or sea salt
- To a large saucepot, add your jam ingredients and bring to a soft boil on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered** for 30-40 minutes until some of the liquid evaporates.
- Once ready, you can mash the jam a little if you wish.
- Transfer jam to your favourite jars, cover with lid and reserve 1 cup for the dressing.
- For the dressing, you can shake the ingredients in a glass jar or purée everything in a high-speed blender then transfer it to a glass jar. Enjoy!
Keep jam and dressing in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Always use clean utensils to scoop out jam and dressing.
If you decide to add chia seeds to help thicken the mix do so after the 30-minute mark, and mix well.
* Using a cold extraction and raw Extra Virgin Olive Oil is great for the dressing.
**Keep an eye on your jam while cooking as it can overflow if the heat is too hot.
Keywords: Jam, Strawberries, Rhubarb, Plant-Based, Kid-Approved, Allergen-Friendly, Refined Sugar-Free